Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Vintage Cigar Stand Turned Planter

My dear neighbor, Karen, recently moved and gave me a few pieces of furniture to paint. One such treasure included a vintage cigar stand. If you don't know what a cigar stand is, its a piece that men would literally use to ash their cigars into. It once held an ashtray insert that could be cleaned out and reused. Her stand no longer had the ashtray insert. But, it was interesting nonetheless. However, the question became - what to do with this piece - as smoking cigars indoors has kind of gone out of fashion for many.

Before I had an answer to the question, I painted this piece with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in a buttery yellow called, Arles. I love this color when it gets a healthy dose of dark wax. It has such a pretty aged appearance that says, "I've been around for a while." Perfect for vintage furniture!

So, it hung out in the garage for a while whiles I was considering it's new purpose, until my mother in law gave me this pretty little pot of violets - which fits perfectly into the ashtray opening! Of course - a plant stand!












I love the bright blue-purple flowers against this yellow color - what a gorgeous contrast!

No comments:

Post a Comment