Friday, May 4, 2012

A french coffee table named after a special friend

You may noticed on the page where I've listed my items for sale that they've all been given a name. Why? I thought it might help me keep track of the pieces I've completed in years to come, when they've all found homes - and - sometimes I can't help but think of someone I know when I discover a piece of furniture.

Like this coffee table. When I laid eyes on her, I saw elegance. Those curvey legs, the delicate drawer pull, the beautiful carved shells and finials - they all said, "this old girl may be down, but she's not out." And after a paint job, her vintage glory shines. And so she is named after one of my very dear friends - a woman who is a tremendous fighter, when the odds have been against her - and a true class act. She is Ann, and so this table has been named, The Annie.

Here's her before photo and several images from various angles to admire her...



The entire piece was painted with Annie Sloan chalk paint in Paloma - a grey/taupe color with a hint of lavender. It's a beautiful French-inspired color that I thought would be perfect for this table. I dry-brushed Old White all around the legs, base and top edges. The top of the table features a damask and vine accent. It's been distressed and the legs, base and edges were aged with dark wax. The top was sealed with clear wax.



Dry brushing with the white paint allowed the paloma to show through.



I painted this in my driveway on a hot day and some of the paint started to crackle. I quickly took it inside, fearing that I had destroyed the paint job. But, once it dried completely, I was in love! The little bit of texture provides so much antique-factor!












I know what you're thinking...so many photos! But, I couldn't stop snapping the camera. There's so many beautiful sides to see. Just like the real Ann, she is named after!





I hope you you like her!

3 comments:

  1. Happy to report this piece sold in just 2 days! Thank you to Colleen, who has given Annie a lovely place in her home - and here's the kicker - on top of a contemporary zebra print rug. That is so my friend Anne! It reminds me of Anne's little zebra glasses! This table was meant to find it's new home in Colleen's house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you've done to this table! Where can I buy Annie Sloan Chalk Paint? I've never heard of it.......always take lots of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail, I'm so sorry I am only seeing your question now! :-(
    You can find stockists of ASCP here:
    http://www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/North_American_Stockists.html

    This page on her website lists all the American stockists.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete